Recognition of prior learning (RPL) is about the skills and knowledge you’ve gained through work and life experiences. It can be gained at any stage of their lives, through formal and informal learning, in Australia or overseas, through work or other activities such as volunteering.
How are my skills assessed?
Your skills will be assessed against industry standards. This is done by an RPL assessor. You may be asked to:
- Perform tasks or jobs
- Talk about and explain how you do those jobs
- Provide samples of your work.
A visit to your workplace may be organised so you can demonstrate your abilities. You may have to provide job descriptions, references or performance appraisals.
The assessor will consider your skills and knowledge and match them against a suitable qualification.
RPL and Credit Transfer
RPL is sometimes confused with Credit Transfer or assessments conducted in order to recognize advanced standing or for assigning academic credit. The essential difference between the two is that RPL considers evidence of competence that may be drawn from any aspect of an applicant’s professional or personal life. Credit Transfer and advanced standing deal primarily with an evaluation of academic performance as it relates to a particular field of study and whether or not advanced standing may be granted towards the gaining of additional qualifications. Some academic institutions include Credit Transfer within their overall RPL umbrella, as the process still involves assessment of prior learning, regardless of how achieved.
Units to Be Covered in the TAE40110
- You need to complete a total of 10 units
- 7 are core units; and 3 are elective units
- TAEASS401B Plan assessment activities and processes
- TAEASS402B Assess competence
- TAEASS403B Participate in assessment validation
- TAEDEL401A Plan, organise and deliver group-based learning
- TAEDEL402A Plan, organise and facilitate learning in the workplace
- TAEDES401A Design and develop learning programs
- TAEDES402A Use training packages and accredited courses to meet client needs
Elective Units (pick three from the list below)
- TAEASS301B Contribute to assessment
- TAEASS502B Design and develop assessment tools
- TAEDEL301A Provide work skill instruction
- TAEDEL404A Mentor in the workplace
- TAELLN411 Address adult language, literacy and numeracy skills
- TAETAS401A Maintain training and assessment information
$1000.00 (no GST)